D.I.Y - Union Jack/Jubilee Themed Bunting

Hi everyone! Hope you have all been celebrating in a Royal manner this weekend. Since its the Jubilee Day tomorrow, I thought I'd do something a little different. I haven't done a D.I.Y post before but its definitely something I've been contemplating, so let me know what you think! 

What will I need?



Watercolour pencils (you can choose whatever colours you like but I'm using blue and red) / String / Arts & crafts heavyweight paper / 2B pencil / Paintbrush / Water (notice my Thomas the Tank Engine mug haha!)

You will also need spellotape and scissors but I couldn't find any until after I took photos!


 Step 1:



Lightly sketch a triangle onto your squared paper. You can use a ruler but I just did mine freehand. Follow the guidelines when you cut with scissors and then you have your base triangle. 


Step 2:



Lightly sketch the union jack outline onto your paper triangle so that you have guidelines to go by. Make sure you don't press too hard, you don't want grooves in the paper!


Step 3:



           
       

Colour in your guidelines. Don't worry about it looking too messy, you'll be using water and have more control over it then! Plus, I like to think it makes them look 'shabby chic'.


Step 4:



Use your wet paintbrush to carefully paint over the watercolour pencil. This will strengthen up the colour.


Make a small lip with the top of the paper and lie the string beneath it. Then fold the lip over and stick with tape to keep it in place.


Finished product




Here is the finished product! Do as many union jacks as you like, but I chose to mix it up with some red and blues as well. I think I'll be making a few more of these to drape around my room as I really liked how the turned out!


Let me know what you guys think of this kind of post, is it something you'd like to see more of in the future?





       


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2012 • materialmatchbox • All Rights Reserved
Blog at Blogger.com